Labels

Beer (100) Cider (6) Whisky (2) 5/5 (1) Gin (1) Others (1)

Search This Blog

Beer review: Franziskaner Hefe-Weissbier (5.0% Germany: Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu)



Franziskaner Hefe-Weissbier is a wheat beer, more specifically a hefeweizen, produced by the German Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu brewery. The brewery has long traditions reaching all the way to 1397. Today it is part of the Anheuser-Busch corporation, the largest beer producer in the world. I wasn't aware of this fact before doing some research for this review, and I have to admit I'm quite disappointed to find out that the brewery of one of my absolute favorite wheat beers is part of Anheuser-Busch. I would rather see my money go to small entrepreneurs than gigantic corporations, but unfortunately that's how the world goes around these days. Luckily this hasn't affected the taste of the beer, and belonging to a large corporation has made the Franziskaner easily available, at least around Europe.

Taste: Franziskaner Hefe-Weissbier is one of the best balanced wheat beers I have ever come across. None of the flavors seem too dominant and, for me, therein lies the fascination of it. It starts with a faint fruity taste of banana, followed by a light-bodied taste of wheat and yeast and finishes with a pleasant slightly bitter and dryish feel.

Overall, the Franziskaner Hefe-Weissbier is one of the best wheat beers in wide circulation. Some beer connoisseurs may be put off by it's non-edged, balanced flavor, but that's what I'm looking for in a wheat beer. It's one of my regular picks because of the good availability.

90 Exceptional

No comments:

Post a Comment